Navigating the complexities of building safety regulations can be a daunting task for property owners and managers. With recent changes in California legislation, namely Senate Bill (SB) 326 and SB 721, it is more important than ever to ensure that your multifamily property is compliant with these new requirements. In this blog post, we will discuss how Balcony1's inspection services in Century City and the Los Angeles area can simplify the compliance process for property owners while ensuring the safety of tenants.
Understanding SB 326 and SB 721
SB 326 and SB 721 are two California laws that were enacted to protect residents of multifamily properties from potential hazards associated with balconies, walkways, decks, stairways and all exterior elevated elements. These laws mandate periodic inspections of these elements in order to identify any defects or necessary repairs.
- SB 326 require the association of a condominium project to cause a reasonably competent and diligent visual inspection of exterior elevated elements, defined as the load-bearing components and associated waterproofing systems, as specified, to determine whether the exterior elevated elements are in a generally safe condition and performing in compliance with applicable standards. The inspection has to be performed at least once every nine years.
- SB 721 requires an inspection of exterior elevated elements and associated waterproofing elements, as defined, including decks and balconies, for buildings with 3 or more multifamily dwelling units by a licensed architect, licensed civil or structural engineer, a building contractor holding specified licenses, or an individual certified as a building inspector or building official, as specified. The bill would require the inspections, including any necessary testing, to be completed by January 1, 2025, with certain exceptions, and would require subsequent inspections every 6 years.
The purpose of these laws is to prevent accidents and tragedies caused by structural failures. By identifying potential issues early on through regular inspections, property owners can address defects before they become dangerous.
Balcony1: Your Partner in Compliance
Balcony1 is a Los Angeles-based company with over 20 years of construction and design experience. With hundreds of completed projects within their various divisions for multifamily properties, Balcony1 is well-equipped to help property owners navigate the complexities of SB 326 and SB 721 compliance.
When it comes to inspecting Exterior Elevated Elements as balconies, walkways, decks and stairways, Balcony1 uses a combination of visual inspections and cutting-edge technology. Some of the tools utilized by Balcony1 include:
- Infrared Thermal Imager
- Moisture Meter
- Industrial Endoscope Camera
These advanced tools allow Balcony1's inspectors to identify potential issues that may not be visible to the naked eye.
A Recent Inspection in Century City
In a recent project at a multifamily property located in Century City, Balcony1 was contracted to perform an inspection in compliance with SB 326. The property consisted of several balconies, walkways, decks and stairways.
Upon completion of the inspection, Balcony1 identified several defects that required immediate attention. These included:
- Deterioration of waterproofing systems on one of the elements causing water damage and rot
- Cracks on surfaces that could compromise structural integrity
Balcony1 also pinpointed areas of immediate concern. By identifying these issues early on through regular inspection, the property owner was able to address the defects before they became dangerous and costly to repair.
Proactive Maintenance and Repairs
One of the key benefits of partnering with Balcony1 for SB 326 and SB 721 inspections is the ability to identify and address issues proactively. By conducting regular inspections, property owners can stay ahead of potential problems and maintain the safety and integrity of their buildings.
In addition to identifying defects, Balcony1 can also provide repairs or maintenance that may be necessary to ensure ongoing compliance with California safety regulations. This proactive approach can save property owners time, money, and stress in the long run.
Ensuring compliance with California's stringent building safety regulations can be challenging for multifamily property owners. With Balcony1's inspection services in Century City and the Los Angeles area, you can navigate the complexities of SB 326 and SB 721 with ease. By partnering with Balcony1, you can rest assured that your building's exterior elements are safe, compliant, and well-maintained.
To learn more about how Balcony1's inspection and repair services can help your multifamily property stay compliant with California safety regulations, contact them today at (323) 255-2669.